Skip to main content

Dupilumab - the miracle cure?

Dupilumab - the miracle cure? Skip to main content

Dupilumab - the miracle cure?

I have been following the recent trials for dupilumab, for the past year. I had really pinned my hopes on it being the cure for eczema, so imagine my happiness when I received an email from the National Eczema Association, explaining that it had been approved by the FDA!

I have done a fair bit of research into dupilumab, and from what I have gathered, it is administrated as an injection once every 2 weeks. Which isn't ideal, but at this point I am willing to try anything. After trying everything from steroid creams and tablets, to oat baths, coconut oil, aloe vera and phototherapy; I am now coming to the point, were my only option left is imunosuppressants. As a pharmacy student, I have access to a lot of resources which have allowed me to continuously read about the terrifying side effects caused by ciclosporin. During my revision last night, I even read it can potentially make women sterile!

However dupilumab, has only a few known side effects such as eye infections and injection site reactions, although it is a new drug, so the long term effects are not known. From what I can gather, although the drug is not licensed in the UK yet, it is available on the Early Access Medicines Scheme and can be prescribed by a dermatologist. The requirements are that a patient has severe eczema and has tried all available treatments, therefore I am not sure I would qualify as I haven't tried ciclosporin yet.

There are a few different clinical trials you can read to get more information on the success of dupilumab -SOLO 1, SOLO 2 and CHRONOS. So is dupilumab the miracle cure for eczema? No I don't think so, as there has been no research into how long patients will have to continue with the treatment - possibly indefinitely. Plus the fact, it is most effective when used with steroids, which I think will put a lot of people off, especially those that have been affected by TSW. However, I will be enquiring about this treatment with my dermatologist, to see if it may be something I could try in the near future.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets start at the beginning...

Phototherapy - my experience

Emollients - Are they worth the effort?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mini guide to steroid creams

Lets start at the beginning...

Emollients - Are they worth the effort?