Emollients - Are they worth the effort?

Lets face it. Who has the time to cover themselves head to toe in cream, five times a day like the doctors recommend? Certainly not me. I'd say I manage to apply it between two and three times a day, which I don't think is too bad. It's certainly more difficult to find the motivation when you have severe eczema, as it can seem like a waste of time. But if you find the right emollient, it can soothe your skin somewhat and reduce that irritating itch. However I can't say I'm completely sold on the theory that they improve the skin barrier and prevent flares...

There is a lot of trial and error going on, when you are on the hunt for your perfect emollient - one that doesn't irritate you further, and manages to keep your skin moisturised for more than 5 minutes. I tried many brands over the years such as Dermol, Cetraban, Aveeno ect. I finally settled on Epaderm after trying it out in hospital. I woke up to notice my skin's redness was massively reduced and have stuck with it ever since. I get through about 4 large bottles a month.

The best thing about it, is that it is so multi-functional. Its replaced all the toiletries I cant use anymore such as shower gel, body lotions and even make-up remover. Honestly, a squirt of it on a cotton pad and it clears your face - even stubborn mascara. The only thing I miss, is that squeaky clean feeling when you use a shower gel. You definitely don't get that when you are washing yourself with a thick cream.

Which emollients do you use? And do you have any alternative uses for them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mini guide to steroid creams

Lets start at the beginning...