Phototherapy - my experience

Over the past few years, I have occasionally used sunbeds as a fail safe way to clear my skin up temporarily before a big night out. I am well aware of the risks of skin cancer, but sometimes I really need the confidence boost that clear skin can give me. A week in the sun after a holiday also completely clears my skin, which is why I was excited when my dermatologist recommended me 24 sessions of phototherapy, twice a week. She made it very clear that this would only be a temporary solution, and it was very likely my eczema would return once I finished the course of UVB therapy. But at the time I was having one of my worse flares and was desperate for some relief.

Before I started the treatment I took prednisolone for 2 weeks to sort my skin out, as it was really bad. I then started my first phototherapy session about a week after that. So for those of you who don't know what to expect, I will give you a bit more information. These are not ordinary sunbeds. They are incredibly intense so you start off at about 30 seconds for your first treatment, increasing gradually over the weeks. You stand in the sunbed with goggles on and factor 50 sun cream on your lips to protect them. You can also wear a visa to cover your face.

I had two main problems with the treatment. It might just be me but every time I go, my face burns bright red with two white google marks and not only do I look ridiculous, it is also very sore. I will insert a picture to show you what I mean. And secondly, you are not allowed to apply any creams before your treatment, which is an awful feeling, as it drys your skin out even further.

A few hours after my 19th session


After taking the steroid tablets, my skin cleared up, and the phototherapy sessions kept the eczema from flaring up for about 2 months. I'm now on my 20th session and my skin flared up about 2 weeks ago. I just cannot get it under control, and if anything, I think the treatments are making it worse and my skin dryer. The most annoying thing about phototherapy, is that even if its really successful at treating your eczema, you are not allowed anymore sessions because of the risks of skin cancer. After I finish all my sessions, I will be possibly starting Ciclosporin for the first time, although I'm not sure I want to risk the nasty side effects of an immunosuppressant. We shall see.

Pros
  • Keeps flares at bay
  • It's quick - I only spend about 10 minutes max in hospital for each treatment
  • You get a tan, and therefore flares don't look as obvious
Cons
  • Twice a week visits to the hospital, so could be difficult if you have a job or other commitments
  • Sun burn
  • Only a temporary solution
  • Drys skin out




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mini guide to steroid creams

Lets start at the beginning...

Emollients - Are they worth the effort?