Some tips and tricks for showering with eczema

I used to take being able to have a nice, hot shower at the end of the day for granted. As my eczema has worsened over the years, I find showers, the main culprit for making my skin worse. I now make sure nothing comes in contact with my skin except emollient and water, but still find my skin inflamed afterwards. I have done some research and found that water softeners may help, but I have yet to try them.

To minimise skin irritation, I do the following:

  • As uncomfortable as it is, I try keep the water temperature as low as possible, as heat will dry the skin further.
  • I later myself in Epaderm emollient from head to toe before I get in the shower.
  • I wash myself with Epaderm as a soap substitute.
  • Then as soon as I get out the shower I pat my skin dry gently, and then apply more Epaderm.
  • I put on my Clinfast top and leggings, which are kind of like bandage clothes. 
  • I then wash my hair over the bath with Jason Gluten Free Daily Shampoo as it contains no SLS and doesn't irritate my scalp.
The Clinifast garments have really helped my skin, as they keep the cream on your body, and therefore absorbs much more effectively. I wear them as pyjamas every night, and in the winter - under my clothes. If you haven't tried them yet I recommend asking your Doctor to prescribe them for you. 

I also really recommend using a SLS free shampoo, as sodium lauryl sulphate is a known irritant and strips all the oils from your skin as well as your hair. SLS shampoos don't foam up, which may seem strange at first but it will still clean your hair just as well! Another option is to use the "no poo" method, which involves washing your hair with conditioner. I've tried this before, but it can sometimes leave my hair lank. A lot of people seem to love it, so maybe I just haven't found the right product yet.

Showering with eczema is a lot of effort, but I find the key is to use a lot of emollient!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mini guide to steroid creams

Lets start at the beginning...

Emollients - Are they worth the effort?